Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Recipe Wednesday- Low Carb Pizza

You all know that we are trying to eat low carb. Well, pizza is one of our favorite meals and I have to tell you that I have gotten in a rut of chicken and vegetables EVERY night. I love chicken but that gets kind of boring after a while. So I found this recipe for low carb pizza on Instructables. I have to tell you that I only used the crust part of the recipe. Then I used prepared pizza sauce, Italian grated cheeses, green pepper, onion, and pepperoni. I think that anyone who did the home made sauce might be my hero. I was just too lazy. Let me know if you do! I would love to think I had it that together. All in all, this helped with our pizza craving and the crust was AMAZING!

You can get the original recipe and comments and variations on it here: Low Carb Pizza with Home Made Sauce. You should really consider checking out the original recipe. She has great pictures and there are some really great comments with variations that people have used. Thanks so much for visiting! I hope you enjoy!


For the pizza crust, you will need:

2 eggs
1 8oz package cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, brought to room temperature
1 cup Parmesan cheese - shredded or grated

9x13" baking pan
cooking spray to coat pan


For the sauce, you will need:

1 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup sangria
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cloves of garlic, minced


Toppings of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, cream cheese and Parmesan and mix well with a fork or spatula. Don't panic if the mix looks very wet and runny, it will firm up as it bakes.

Coat the 9x13" baking pan with the cooking spray, then spread the mixture to cover the bottom of the pan.

Place pan on a rack in the middle of oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is firm and lightly browned.

In a medium bowl, mix tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt and garlic, then add sangria to thin the mixture to a spreadable, but not too thick consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Remove baking pan from oven when crust is lightly browned on top. Stand to cool for a few minutes. It is normal for the crust to shrink as it bakes.

Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.

Spread the sauce over the crust, then add toppings of your choice. A nice thick bed of mozzarella helps everything stick together. We covered our pizza with a lot of pepperoni.

Place pan back in oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and it looks delicious. Remove from oven and let stand a while; it will be too hot to eat for about 10 minutes.

Remove from pan, slice and enjoy.
 

No comments: